Sunday, August 8, 2010

For Rachel

After celebrating 27 birthdays together, my twin and I have settled into a routine regarding birthday salutations and gifts. For example, around August 5th, we usually have the following conversation:

Me: So...what do you want for your birthday? *translation: It's in three days and because of my lack of money/imagination/time/sentimentality, I haven't purchased anything for you yet*
Rachel: Um, I don't know. What do you want? *translation: I can't think of what to get you, much less what I want.*
Me: I'll think of something. *translation: You think of something for me to get you and then I'll have an idea of what I want*
Rachel: Yeah. I'll think of something. *translation: I see what you're doing. YOU pick something first, THEN I'll pick something.*

At this point, the conversation usually meanders to other topics and the birthday present issue isn't addressed until the day of. When other family members/friends are handing in their gifts.

Me (looking up from a recently unwrapped present): Hey, I haven't bought yours yet. *translation: You never told me what you wanted. This happens every year.*
Rachel (pausing in unwrapping a gift): Yeah, I didn't get yours either. Yet. *translation: Well, you never told me either. It is just as much your birthday/responsibility as it is mine.*
Me and Rachel (in unison): Let's go to Target/Barnes and Noble/Borders/any close and inexpensive store and buy each other's presents tomorrow. *translation: Let's spend our own money on what we want and call it presents from each other.*

Happy Birthday Rachel Lucinda Randall. The best twin/sister/friend/accomplice in teasing Mom and Dad/co-babysitter for our 21 nieces and nephews/roommate/shopping partner/running inspiration/and birthday sharer anyone could have.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Awwww cute picture and sweet post. Happy b-day!