Sunday, April 25, 2010

Bibliophiles

The other day, during my babysitting jaunt up in A., I witnessed the following dramatic scene between my niece and her younger brother:

Niece: Oh no!
Brother: Uh oh.
Niece (running over to her book with concern written all over her forehead): Where is it? Where is it?
Brother (looking confused): Uh oh.
Niece (carefully opening the book, scanning the pages): Um.....
Brother (now looking at his fee): Uh oh.

*Tense Moment*

Niece (shooting up her hand in a victory punch): YES! It is still here.
Brother: Um.
Niece (proudly producing a small, ratted piece of paper): My bookmark. I thought it had fallen out.
Brother (attention span now expired): Hey, let's play Wii.
Niece (looking frustrated, looks at me): Hey.
Me (addressing the whole room in my twelve-foot voice): What is the worst thing that could happen to a reader?
Niece, Nephew #1 and #2 (in unison): LOOSE YOUR BOOKMARK!
Me: Exactly.




I love that they read. I love that they read everything. Cereal boxes during breakfast, comics during lunch, and Harry Potter everywhere in between.

Except for "the brother". He's schooling me in the Wii. Still a win.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

I wish my #1 would read like that. It is torture to get 15 min. a day done.